The movie A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985) is the second installment in the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. The movie begins with a new family moving into the house on Elm Street, and before long, the kids are having nightmares about deceased child murderer Freddy Krueger. Jesse Walsh, the teenage son of the family, begins to have horrific nightmares featuring a burned man in a dirty red and green sweater with knives on the fingers of his right hand. Jesse’s neighbor and new sweetheart, Lisa, discovers the truth behind Fred Krueger and his horrible murder spree. Freddy vows to take over Jesse’s body to continue his vile crimes against the Elm Street residents.
In a bloody nightmare, Jesse finds himself observing the brutal slaying of his gym teacher, Coach Schneider. The next day, he learns that the murder has, in fact, taken place and that he is the prime suspect. Jesse’s behavior becomes increasingly erratic as he is haunted by Freddy in his dreams. Freddy attempts to possess Jesse to cause havoc in the real world.
- Mark Patton as Jesse Walsh
- Kim Myers as Lisa Webber
- Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger
- Robert Rusler as Ron Grady
- The movie was released on November 1, 1985, and had a budget of $3 million.
- The film was directed by Jack Sholder and written by David Chaskin.
- The movie’s original script was not intended to be a direct sequel to the first film, but rather a standalone story with Freddy Krueger as the villain.
- The film’s homoerotic subtext has been the subject of much analysis and discussion.