The movie American Psycho (2000) is a psychological horror film directed by Mary Harron, based on the Bret Easton Ellis novel. It stars Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman, an investment banker hiding a murderous alter ego.
The movie American Psycho (2000) is set in 1980s Manhattan where shallow yuppie Patrick Bateman works among the Wall Street elite. Behind his wealthy facade, Bateman is a brutal serial killer who acts out vicious fantasies. He narrates in detail his late night murders of homeless people, prostitutes, and eventually his coworkers.
As the egocentric Bateman’s body count rises, he remains undetected by coworkers and his fiancee Evelyn. The movie leaves it ambiguous whether the murders actually happened or were just Bateman’s sadistic fantasies. The ending implies he will not be caught, allowing his psychopathic tendencies to continue unchecked.
- Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman
- Willem Dafoe as Donald Kimball
- Jared Leto as Paul Allen
- Josh Lucas as Craig McDermott
- Chloë Sevigny as Jean
- Director Mary Harron turned down an offer to direct American Pie instead.
- Tom Cruise expressed interest in playing Patrick Bateman.
- The director studied real FBI profiles of serial killers for research.
- Rated R for graphic violence, sexuality and language.