Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) is an Italian horror movie directed by Joe D’Amato. The film follows a group of friends who decide to spend their vacation on a remote island. Little do they know, a cannibalistic creature lurks on the island, preying on anyone who crosses its path. As the friends explore the island, they encounter gruesome scenes and realize they are being hunted by a deranged and bloodthirsty killer.
The movie begins with the group of friends arriving on the island, excited for a relaxing getaway. However, their vacation takes a dark turn when they discover the island is deserted and eerie. They soon encounter the first signs of danger when they stumble upon a decaying corpse. As they continue to explore, they find more evidence of the creature’s presence, including bloodstains and torn clothing.
As the friends try to escape the island, they are relentlessly pursued by the creature. One by one, they fall victim to its brutal attacks. The survivors must band together and fight for their lives, using whatever weapons they can find to defend themselves. The tension builds as they navigate through the island’s dark and claustrophobic locations, desperately trying to outsmart the relentless killer.
The movie reaches its climax as the remaining survivors confront the creature in a final showdown. They must use all their strength and resourcefulness to defeat the monster and escape the island alive. The ending leaves the audience with a sense of dread and uncertainty, as the true nature of the creature is revealed.
Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) movie is known for its graphic and disturbing scenes, showcasing the brutal violence and gore that became a trademark of Italian horror cinema. The film’s atmospheric setting and eerie soundtrack contribute to its overall sense of dread and unease. It is a chilling and intense experience that has gained a cult following among horror enthusiasts.
- Tisa Farrow as Julie
- Zora Kerova as Carol
- Saverio Vallone as Andy
- Margaret Mazzantini as Maggie
- Mark Bodin as Daniel
- Bob Larson as Arnold
- George Eastman as Nikos Karamanlis
- The movie was initially banned in several countries due to its extreme violence and graphic content.
- Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) is part of the “video nasty” era in British cinema, where a list of films were deemed morally corrupt and banned from distribution.
- The film is also known by its alternate titles, including “The Grim Reaper” and “Man-Eater of the Cannibal World”.
- Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) on Letterboxd
- Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) on IMDb
- Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) on Rotten Tomatoes
-  “Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980).” Letterboxd, https://letterboxd.com/film/anthropophagus-the-grim-reaper/.
-  “Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper.” IMDb, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082479/.
-  “Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper.” Rotten Tomatoes, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anthropophagus_the_grim_reaper.