The movie Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) is an anime horror film directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo and produced by Production I.G. It follows a vampire hunter named Saya tracking demonic creatures at a U.S. military base.
The movie Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) is set in 1966 Japan where a secret organization dispatchers Saya, a centuries-old vampire with youthful looks, to hunt bat-like demons called chiropterans. Posing as a schoolgirl, Saya tracks chiropterans hiding within an American air force base.
Saya ruthlessly slays the chiropterans in gory fashion using her sword and mystical abilities. Two curious students, Sharon and Alice, witness Saya’s demon-slaying talents. They get caught up in her mission when the chiropterans plot an attack on the base school’s Halloween dance.
During a rainy rooftop battle, Saya destroys the chiropteran leader Onigen while Sharon and Alice help fend off attacking demons. With her mission complete, Saya disappears into the night. The movie Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) was praised for its style and action in bringing the vampire hunter anime to life.
- Yûki Kudô as Saya (voice)
- Saemi Nakamura as Sharon (voice)
- Joe Romersa as Alice (voice)
- Rebecca Forstadt as Onigen (voice)
- Crispin Freeman as Male Student (voice)
- Based on a short anime OVA from 1998.
- Directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure fame.
- Visual style inspired by Blood: The Last Vampire manga.
- Rated R for strong stylized bloody violence.