The movie Cujo (1983) is a horror film based on Stephen King’s novel of the same name. The film follows the story of a friendly St. Bernard named Cujo, who is bitten by a rabid bat and turns into a vicious killer. The film is directed by Lewis Teague and stars Dee Wallace, Danny Pintauro, and Daniel Hugh Kelly.
The film begins with a young boy named Tad Trenton and his mother, Donna, living in a small town in Maine. Donna is having an affair with her ex-boyfriend, while her husband is away on a business trip. Meanwhile, Cujo, a friendly St. Bernard, is bitten by a rabid bat and begins to show signs of aggression.
Donna takes her car to a local mechanic, who is killed by Cujo when he tries to fix the car. Donna and Tad are trapped in the car, with Cujo waiting outside. As the days pass, they become dehydrated and desperate to escape. Meanwhile, Donna’s husband returns home and begins to search for his family.
Eventually, Donna manages to escape the car and kill Cujo with a baseball bat.
- Dee Wallace as Donna Trenton
- Danny Pintauro as Tad Trenton
- Daniel Hugh Kelly as Vic Trenton
- Christopher Stone as Steve Kemp
- Ed Lauter as Joe Camber
- Kaiulani Lee as Charity Camber
- Billy Jayne as Brett Camber
- The film was shot in just over two months on a budget of $8 million.
- The St. Bernard who played Cujo was actually a combination of four different dogs.
- The film was originally going to be directed by Peter Medak, but he dropped out due to creative differences.