The movie Don’t Answer the Phone! (1980) is an American psychological horror film directed by Robert Hammer. The story follows a deeply disturbed Vietnam veteran named Kirk Smith, who terrorizes young women in Los Angeles and taunts a radio psychologist with descriptions of his grisly crimes. As the body count rises, the police race against time to catch the killer before he strikes again. Meanwhile, the radio psychologist, Dr. Lindsay Gale, becomes increasingly obsessed with tracking down Smith and stopping him.
The movie Don’t Answer the Phone! (1980) explores themes of mental illness, obsession, and the dangers of unchecked violence. The film is known for its graphic violence and disturbing subject matter, which caused controversy upon its release.
- James Westmoreland as Kirk Smith
- Valerie Harper as Dr. Lindsay Gale
- Nicholas Worth as Sgt. Hatcher
- Stanley Brock as Lt. McCabe
- Don’t Answer the Phone! (1980) was directed by Robert Hammer and co-written by Hammer and Michael D. Castle.
- The film was seized and confiscated in the UK under Section 3 of the Obscene Publications Act 1959 during the video nasty panic, although it was not prosecuted for obscenity.
- Don’t Answer the Phone! (1980) – IMDb
- Film Review: Schizoid (1980) – Horror News Network
- Review: Alien 2 – On Earth (1980) – The B-Movie Film Vault