The movie Friday the 13th 5: A New Beginning (1985) is a slasher film directed by Danny Steinmann and starring Melanie Kinnaman, John Shepherd, and Shavar Ross. The movie is a sequel to Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) and the fifth installment in the Friday the 13th franchise.
The movie follows Tommy Jarvis, who, as a child, killed Jason Voorhees, and is now sent to a secluded halfway house in the countryside. The halfway house is home to several troubled teens who are trying to get their lives back on track. However, when a series of brutal murders occur in the area, the residents of the halfway house begin to suspect that Jason Voorhees may have returned from the dead.
- John Shepherd as Tommy Jarvis
- Melanie Kinnaman as Pam Roberts
- Shavar Ross as Reggie
- Richard Young as Dr. Matt Letter
- Marco St. John as Sheriff Tucker
- The film was originally intended to be the final installment in the Friday the 13th franchise, but due to the success of the movie, the series continued with several more sequels.
- The movie’s special effects were created by John Carl Buechler, who went on to work on other horror films such as “Halloween 4” and “Nightmare on Elm Street 4″.
- The movie’s tagline, “A New Beginning to the first step in terror,” was a reference to the fact that the movie was intended to be a fresh start for the franchise.