The movie Girls Nite Out (1982) is an American slasher film directed by Robert Deubel. The story takes place at DeWitt University, where a group of female college students are participating in an all-night scavenger hunt. However, their night of fun turns into a nightmare when they are targeted by a killer wearing a bear mascot costume.
Girls Nite Out (1982) opens at a mental institution where patient Dickie Cavanaugh has committed suicide. Two gravediggers burying Dickie’s body are murdered by an unseen assailant who throws their corpses into the grave.
At a nearby university, a basketball championship sets off a nighttime scavenger hunt for the female students. Student Lynn attends a party where the legend of the disturbed Dickie is told. The school mascot Michael is soon murdered in his dorm and his bear costume stolen.
As the scavenger hunt begins, the killer dresses in the bear suit and uses clawed gloves to viciously slash the throats of several girls. The campus police officer MacVey begins investigating, as his daughter was Dickie’s girlfriend.
The movie Girls Nite Out (1982) continues as more coeds are gruesomely slaughtered by the bear killer during the hunt. Lynn’s friend Leslie is killed in the chapel attic. Tension builds as it seems no girl is safe from the murderous rampage.
In the bloody climax, the killer is revealed to be Dickie’s twin sister Katie, who is suffering from dissociative identity disorder. Believing she is Dickie, Katie murdered to “bring him home” and stored his frozen corpse. The movie ends on this disturbing reveal.
With its twist killer and savage slasher scenes set on a college campus, the movie Girls Nite Out (1982) delivers thrilling horror entertainment. The climactic freezer reveal provides a chilling coda to the mystery of the bear-suited maniac.
- Julia Montgomery as Lynn
- Suzanne Barnes as Nancy
- Rutanya Alda as Mrs. Jenkins
- Hal Holbrook as Dr. David Faraday
- James Carroll as Mark
- David Holbrook as Steve
- The movie Girls Nite Out (1982) was shot in Dobbs Ferry, New York, and at Upsala College in East Orange, New Jersey.
- The film was directed by Robert Deubel, who had previously worked as a documentarian.
- Girls Nite Out was produced by Anthony N. Gurvis and Kevin Kurgis, two attorneys from Ohio who helped finance the film.
- The film received mixed reviews upon its release, with some praising its suspenseful atmosphere and others criticizing its formulaic plot.
-  https://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2022/05/girls-nite-out-1982/
-  https://www.confluenceofcult.com/reviews/review-girls-nite-out-1982
-  https://letterboxd.com/film/girls-nite-out/