The movie Nightbreed (1990) is a dark fantasy directed by Clive Barker based on his 1988 novella Cabal. It stars Craig Sheffer as Aaron Boone, a troubled young man who discovers an underground world of monsters called the Nightbreed.
The movie Nightbreed (1990) begins with Aaron having visions of a subterranean city called Midian, where monsters live hidden from humans. Aaron is framed for a series of murders by his manipulative psychiatrist Dr. Decker. Seeking refuge, Aaron discovers that Midian is real. The Nightbreed accept Aaron as one of their own and he undergoes a painful transformation.
When the police learn Midian’s location, they storm the underground city, brutally killing many of the Nightbreed. Aaron escapes and seeks help from his girlfriend Lori to prove his innocence and expose Decker’s crimes. In a final confrontation, the resurrected Nightbreed band together to defeat Decker and protect their existence from further human attacks.
Though the movie Nightbreed (1990) was initially a box office failure, the film gained a cult following for its original dark fantasy premise and blend of horror, action, and mythology.
- Craig Sheffer as Aaron Boone/Cabal
- Anne Bobby as Lori Winston
- David Cronenberg as Dr. Philip K. Decker
- Charles Haid as Capt. Eigerman
- Hugh Ross as Narcisse
- Doug Bradley as Lylesberg
- Original cut was over 3 hours long and heavily re-edited before release.
- Many scenes were removed, including a romantic scene between Aaron and Lori.
- The movie had a turbulent production history with budget cuts and studio interference.
- Almost all of the shooting took place at night.
- Lyle’s face makeup took six hours to apply.
- Nightbreed – Wikipedia
- Nightbreed (1990) – IMDb
- How Nightbreed Became an Underrated Cult Classic – Bloody Disgusting