The movie Nightmare (1981) is a psychological slasher film written and directed by Romano Scavolini. The plot follows a deranged man who escapes from a psychiatric institute in New York City and embarks on a murderous rampage. The man, who suffers from horrifying nightmares, is the subject of a medical experiment that has gone terribly wrong.
After leaving the institute, the man travels to Florida with the intention of killing his ex-wife and child. As he carries out his brutal acts, he is haunted by vivid and disturbing visions. The film delves into the man’s twisted psyche, exploring themes of madness and violence..
- Baird Stafford as George Tatum
- Sharon Smith as Susan Temper
- C.J. Cooke as Kathy Tatum
- Mik Cribben as Dr. Larry Baylor
– Nightmare (1981) was released under the title “Nightmares in a Damaged Brain” in some regions.
– The film gained notoriety in the United Kingdom and was labeled a “video nasty,” leading to its prosecution for violation of the Obscene Publications Act 1959.
– Nightmare was the only film among the “video nasties” to receive prosecution and have its distributor incarcerated.