The movie Pitch Black (2000) is a sci-fi horror thriller directed by David Twohy and starring Vin Diesel, Radha Mitchell, and Cole Hauser. It follows the survivors of a spaceship crash fighting deadly alien creatures on an isolated desert planet.
The movie Pitch Black (2000) opens with docking pilot Carolyn Fry crash landing on a planet with her passengers, killing many onboard. Remaining survivors include dangerous convict Riddick, devout Imam, and law officer William Johns. Stranded until help comes, tension builds as mysterious creatures stalk and kill members at night.
When the planet experiences a total solar eclipse, swarms of predatory photosensitive aliens emerge, quickly killing most survivors. With light their only protection, Riddick leads the small group to a settlement to activate emergency power and light beacons. After a final confrontation, only Riddick and Fry escape the planet as the sole survivors.
- Vin Diesel as Riddick
- Radha Mitchell as Carolyn Fry
- Cole Hauser as William J. Johns
- Keith David as Abu ‘Imam’ al-Walid
- Lewis Fitz-Gerald as Paris P. Ogilvie
- Established the sci-fi horror Riddick franchise.
- Visual aesthetic inspired by photosensitivity disease porphyria.
- Made on a budget of $23 million.
- Rated R for violence and language.