The movie Possession (1981) is a psychological horror film directed by Andrzej Żuławski. The story revolves around the disintegrating marriage of Mark, played by Sam Neill, and Anna, played by Isabelle Adjani. The movie Possession (1981) explores the couple’s descent into madness and the supernatural forces that come between them.
The movie Possession (1981) begins with Mark returning home from a mysterious espionage mission to find that Anna wants a divorce. As their relationship deteriorates, Anna’s behavior becomes increasingly erratic and disturbing. She engages in bizarre and violent acts, leading Mark to suspect that she is having an affair.
As Mark investigates Anna’s strange behavior, he discovers that she is involved in a bizarre and otherworldly affair with a tentacled creature… but is apparently “almost” something else. The movie Possession (1981) delves into themes of obsession and the breakdown of identity while navigating relationships and marriage. Mark becomes entangled in a web of madness and violence as he tries to uncover the truth about Anna’s transformation.
The movie Possession (1981) is known for its intense performances, particularly Isabelle Adjani’s portrayal of Anna.
- Isabelle Adjani as Anna
- Sam Neill as Mark
- Heinz Bennent as Heinrich
- Michael Hogben as Detective
- Margit Carstensen as Margit Gluckmeister
- Possession (1981) was filmed in West Berlin and was Żuławski’s only English-language film.
- The film’s screenplay was written during Żuławski’s painful divorce from actress Małgorzata Braunek.
- Possession (1981) gained a cult following in the years following its release and is considered one of the most enigmatic and uncompromising horror films in cinema history.