The movie Revenge of the Dead (1983) is an Italian horror film directed by Pupi Avati. The story begins with a young journalist named Stefano who buys a second-hand typewriter. He discovers that he can read the imprints on the ribbon, revealing what was last typed on the machine. Stefano becomes obsessed with the typewriter and the previous owner, who was a scientist named Paolo Zeder. Stefano learns that Zeder was experimenting with bringing the dead back to life and that he may have succeeded. Stefano travels to Zeder’s hometown to investigate further.
In the town, Stefano meets a woman named Gabriella, who helps him uncover the truth about Zeder’s experiments. They discover that Zeder was trying to create a new form of life by combining the DNA of the dead with that of the living. However, his experiments had unintended consequences, and the dead began to rise from their graves.
Stefano and Gabriella find themselves in a fight for their lives as they try to stop the zombie apocalypse that Zeder’s experiments have unleashed. They must find a way to destroy Zeder’s laboratory and put an end to his dangerous experiments before it’s too late.
- Gabriele Lavia as Stefano
- Anne Canovas as Gabriella
- Paola Tanziani as Laura
- Cesare Barbetti as Paolo Zeder
- Bob Tonelli as the Mayor
- The film was released in Italy under the title “Zeder” but was released in the United States as “Revenge of the Dead.”
- Director Pupi Avati is known for his horror films, including “The House with Laughing Windows” and “The Arcane Enchanter.”
- The film features a score by Riz Ortolani, who also composed music for “Cannibal Holocaust” and “Mondo Cane.”