The movie Rockula (1990) is a comedy horror musical directed by Luca Bercovici and starring Dean Cameron, Toni Basil, and Thomas Dolby. It follows a centuries-old vampire rockstar cursed to relive the death of each incarnation of his lover Mona.
The movie Rockula (1990) opens in the 18th century when vampire Ralph meets Mona and they perform together musically. A pirate curses Ralph to relive Mona’s death over and over. In 1990, Ralph is brought back to life as rockstar Ralf and falls for a college student also named Mona. They perform rock music together with Ralf’s bandmates Elon and Phoebe.
When women around town start being killed and drained of blood, Ralf worries the pirate curse is happening again. He discovers all the victims wore the same necklace as Mona. Ralf races to protect Mona from being the next victim. In a confrontation with the resurrected pirate, Ralf defeats him, breaking the curse. Ralf and Mona are now free to be together.
- Dean Cameron as Ralf/Ralph
- Toni Basil as Phoebe
- Thomas Dolby as Stanley
- Bo Diddley as Chief Mangus
- Tawny Fere as Mona
- Writer/director Luca Bercovici is the son of actor Eric Bercovici.
- Dean Cameron performed all his own singing in the film.
- Used some of the same crew members as Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.
- Filmed in Los Angeles on a budget of $1.5 million.