The movie Supernova (2000) is a science fiction horror film directed by Walter Hill and Francis Ford Coppola. It features a star-studded cast including James Spader, Angela Bassett, and Robert Forster.
In the 22nd century, a medical rescue crew is responding to a distress signal from a mining outpost. The crew consists of Captain A.J. Marley (Robert Forster), co-pilot Danika Lund (Robin Tunney), medical officer Dr. Kaela Evers (Angela Bassett), and Nick Vanzant (James Spader). When they arrive at the mining planet, they find it has been completely destroyed. The only survivor is a mysterious man named Troy (Peter Facinelli).
As the crew heads back to their main ship Nightingale 229, Troy exhibits strange powers and abilities. It is revealed that Troy came into contact with a supernova that altered his genetic makeup, giving him superhuman powers. However, the supernova also planted an alien embryo inside Troy that is gradually taking over his body. The embryo needs immense heat and energy to grow and survive.
The movie Supernova (2000) follows the desperate crew as they try to stop Troy, whose actions become increasingly violent and erratic as the alien inside him starts to emerge. The alien-possessed Troy can absorb energy from anything he touches, causing explosions and death. After killing most of the crew, Troy heads for the Nightingale 229 where the generators will provide enough energy for the alien to fully burst free.
- James Spader as Nick Vanzant
- Angela Bassett as Dr. Kaela Evers
- Robert Forster as Captain A.J. Marley
- Robin Tunney as Danika Lund
- Peter Facinelli as Troy
- The film had a very troubled production with extensive rewrites and reshoots
- Multiple directors worked on the film including Walter Hill, Jack Sholder, and Francis Ford Coppola
- James Spader and Angela Bassett participated in reshoots after principal filming had wrapped
- It was marketed as a creepy sci-fi thriller but is considered a box office bomb
 Rotten Tomatoes