The movie The Cell (2000) is a psychological thriller directed by Tarsem Singh and starring Jennifer Lopez, Vince Vaughn, and Vincent D’Onofrio. It revolves around entering the dark mind of a serial killer to save a victim.
The movie The Cell (2000) follows child therapist Catherine Deane who uses virtual reality technology to enter patients’ minds and treat disorders. When notorious serial killer Carl Stargher falls into a coma before revealing his latest victim’s location, the FBI recruits Catherine to enter Stargher’s twisted psyche to find her.
Inside the killer’s head, Catherine navigates through disturbing dreamlike landscapes reflecting his shattered mental state. She manages to uncover the victim’s location while also appealing to the small child part left inside Stargher. However, his murderous adult persona fights back against her presence in his mind.
- Jennifer Lopez as Catherine Deane
- Vince Vaughn as Special Agent Peter Novak
- Vincent D’Onofrio as Carl Rudolph Stargher
- Jake Weber as Dr. Gordon Ramsey
- Marianne Jean-Baptiste as Dr. Miriam Kent
- Took over 7 years to finance due to complex visual effects.
- Art direction inspired by disturbing paintings.
- Costume design by Eiko Ishioka.
- Rated R for bizarre violence and sexual images.