The movie The Watcher in the Woods (1980) is a supernatural horror film directed by John Hough and Vincent McEveety. It stars Bette Davis, Carroll Baker, Lynn-Holly Johnson, Kyle Richards, and David McCallum. Based on the 1976 novel by Florence Engel Randall, the film tells the story of a teenage girl and her little sister who become encompassed in a supernatural mystery regarding a missing girl in the woods surrounding their new home in the English countryside.
The movie The Watcher in the Woods (1980) follows Jan Curtis, played by Lynn-Holly Johnson, and her family as they move into an old English house located in a wooded area. Strange and paranormal events begin to occur, particularly affecting Jan’s younger sister Ellie, played by Kyle Richards. Jan becomes determined to uncover the truth behind the mysterious occurrences and the missing girl.
As Jan delves deeper into the mystery, she discovers a connection to an occult event that took place years ago. With the help of Mrs. Aylwood, played by Bette Davis, a reclusive and enigmatic woman who lives nearby, Jan uncovers the dark secrets of the woods and the supernatural forces at play.
The movie The Watcher in the Woods (1980) combines elements of mystery, suspense, and supernatural horror..
- Bette Davis as Mrs. Aylwood
- Carroll Baker as Helen Curtis
- Lynn-Holly Johnson as Jan Curtis
- Kyle Richards as Ellie Curtis
- David McCallum as Paul Curtis
- The Watcher in the Woods (1980) was one of Disney’s attempts to venture into the horror genre, targeting a teenage audience.
- The film had a troubled production, with multiple endings being shot and extensive re-editing.
- The Watcher in the Woods (1980) was released under different titles in different countries, including “El Mensajero de la Oscuridad” in Spain and “La Casa degli Spiriti” in Italy.